1978 MFA Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
1969 BFA San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
1961 The High School of Music and Art, New York, NY
- The Missing Link, November 18 - December 22, Country Club, Los Angeles, CA
- Political Animal: New Drawings and Paintings by Robbie Conal, June 2 - July 28,
Roseark, 1111 North Crescent Heights Blvd, West Hollywood, CA .
- Robbie Conal: Political Animals, May 7-June 6, Al Walters Gallery, Santa Cruz, CA.
(In conjunction with lecture at UC Santa Cruz Art Department, May 6.)
- Not Your Typical Political Animal, book launch and Pop-up exhibition of large-scale animal
drawings, Santa Monica Museum of Art Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, CA
- No Spitting No Kidding: 25 Years of Robbie Conal’s Paintings and Drawings, Track 16 Gallery,
Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, CA
- Off the Street: Robbie Conal in the Studio
Sam Francis Gallery, Crossroads School, Santa Monica, CA
- Apocalypso Facto, Skeletons’ Dance of Death Drawings (Bush Administration)
& Baseball Calaveras, Track 16 Gallery, Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, CA
- Art Burn, University Art Gallery at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA
- One Love & 25 Ugly Old Heads, New Paintings & Drawings, Overtones Gallery,
Los Angeles, CA
- Wanted for Art Activism, York College, York, PA
- National Affairs: Recent Drawings & Two Nasty Old Paintings, San Jose Museum of Art,
San Jose, CA
- Robbie Conal: Greetings from Los Angeles, Fine Arts Gallery, Golden West College,
Huntington Beach, CA
- Robbie Conal: History Re-Petes Itself, University Art Gallery,
San Diego State University, San Diego, CA
- Pet Peeves, Drawings, Koplin Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
- Gag me with the Supreme Court - Paintings, Jayne H. Baum Gallery, New York, NY\
- Recent Paintings, New Drawings, and One Large Photomontage,
Koplin Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
- Damage Control: Critical History Paintings, Jayne H. Baum Gallery,
New York, NY
- Unauthorized History: Robbie Conal’s Portraits of Power, curated by Deborah Irmas, The Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena, CA
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- Infinite Jest: Caricature and Satire from Leonardo to Levine,
September 13, 2011 – March 4, 2012
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY
- Art in the Streets, April 17 - August 8, Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, CA
- The Artist's Museum, October 31, 2010 - January 31, 2011, Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, CA
- Peel Here: 2010 World Celebration in Adhesive Art, Self Help Graphics,
3802 Cesar Chavez Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
Manifest Equality, Los Angeles, CA
- Reality Check, Art that Predicted the Stock Market Crash, Overtones Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Beauty & The Beast, Overtones Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- The Dark Side of the Mouse, Center for Contemporary Art, Sacramento, CA
- Politick, Municipal Gallery, Barnsdall Park, Los Angeles, CA
- Be The Revolution, The Avalon Theater, Los Angeles, CA
- Yo! What Happened to Peace, Cross World Connections, Tokyo
- Peaceful Warriors, Heroes of Non-Violent Political Change, (Gandhi, Dalai Lama, Martin
Luther King, Jr. triptych, oil paintings on canvas), Museum of Tolerance, Los Angeles, CA
- Capital Art, Track 16 Gallery, Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, CA
- First Post-Impeachment Group Show, Track 16 Gallery, Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, CA
- Figureheads & Red Herrings, Portraiture as Critical Commentary, Koplin Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- It’s Only Rock and Roll, Phoenix Art Museum. Phoenix, AZ, traveling to Contemporary Arts
Center, Cincinnati, OH
- The Art of Attack: Social Commentary and Its Effect, Armand Hammer Museum, Organized by
the Wight Gallery and Grunwald Center, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- Art from the Front, curated by Mark Moskins, New York Art Consultants, Webster Hall, New
- Re-imagining America, Randolph Street Gallery, Chicago, IL
- In Praise of Folly, John Michael Kohler Art Center, Sheboygan, WI
- Empowering the Viewer: Art, Politics and Community, William Benton Museum of Art,
University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT; traveling to Tyler School of Art, Elkins Park, PA
- Critical Reactions, Rena Bransten Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- Are You Now, or Have You Ever Been?, D.C. Arts Center, Washington, DC
- Robbie Conal, Jenny Holzer, and Barbara Kruger, Reed College Art Gallery, Portland, OR
- Robbie Conal: Paintings/Sol Aquino: Paintings, Robert Berman Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
- Context: Art by L.A. Art Critics, Robert Berman Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
- Recent Art from L.A., Cleveland Center for Contemporary Art, Cleveland, OH
- Agit/Pop, curated by Robbie Conal, Otis Parsons Art Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Flowers of Life for Central America, Social and Public Art Resources Center, Venice, CA
Left/Right, Gallery 500X, Dallas, TX
- Approaches to Drawing, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Drawings, Dana Reich Gallery, San Francisco, CA
PUBLIC ART PROJECTS
- CLIMATE CHANGE (Barack Obama), Poster Project: Los Angeles, San Diego, NYC
- EMISSION ACCOMPLISHED (George W. Bush) Double-Sided “Coming” and “Going” Poster
- Project: Los Angeles, New Orleans
- BIG BROTHER (Cheney, Bush, Rumsfeld, Rove) Poster Project for The Actor’s Gang
production of Orwell’s “1984”: Los Angeles, Greece
- PATRIOT INACTION (George W Bush) Poster Project: LA, New Orleans
- A BOMBIN’ NATION (Dick Cheney) Poster Project: LA, NYC, Austin, TX
- READ MY APOCALIPS (George W Bush) Poster Project: LA, San Francisco Bay Area,
Seattle, Austin, TX, NYC, Washington D.C., Madison, WI, St Louis, MO, Boston
- ACHTUNG BABY! (Arnold Schwarzenegger) Poster Project: LA, San Francisco Bay Area,
- OOPS! I DID IT AGAIN! (George W Bush, Cheney, Perle, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Powell)
Poster Project with Code Pink: LA, San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle, Washington D.C.
- WATCHING, WAITING, DREAMING (Gandhi, Dali Lama, MLK Jr.) Poster Project: LA, NYC,
Washington D.C., Chicago, Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco Bay Area
- SECRETARY OF OFFENSE (Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney) Poster Project: LA, Seattle,
Washington D.C., San Francisco Bay Area
- TOWER OF BABBLE (Ashcroft, Ridge, George W Bush) Poster Project: LA
- GIVE THE FUCKING FROGS SOME FUCKING SPACE, Poster Project for the Ballona
- THE SECOND SCUMMING + THE BACKSIDE (George Bush Sr, George W Bush, Dick
Cheney) Poster Project: LA
- TASTES LIKE CHICKEN/ THE OTHER WHITE MEAT (Al Gore/ George W Bush) Poster
Project for the Presidential Campaign 2000: LA, San Francisco, Austin, TX, Washington
- DIS BELIEF (LAPD) Poster Project: LA
- ESPERANZA CHIAPAS, Poster project: Los Angeles, San Diego, New York, San Francisco
- EQUALITY OF LIFE (Rudy Giuliani) Poster project: New York
- ANTI TRUST ME (Bill Gates) Poster project: Seattle, San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, New York, Washington DC
- STARR F**KER (Kenneth Starr) Poster project: LA, NYC, Washington D.C.
- DOUGH NATION (Bill Clinton) Poster project: LA, NYC, Washington D.C., San Francisco
Bay Area, Seattle
- METRO BUS: No Somos Sardinas (LA Bus Riders’ Union), Poster project: LA.
- TUNNEL VISION (Richard Riordan, Mayor of Los Angeles) Poster project: LA.
- LITTLE WHITE LIES..(Jesse Helms) Poster project with Pearl Jam: six cities in North
Carolina, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles.
- NEWTWIT Video--30 second TV spot--animated, collaboration with Deborah Ross Film
Design, Cybermotion. New York, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C.
- WINKIN’ BLINKIN’ NOD, (Jennings, Brokaw, Rather),Video: 15 minutes (with Harry Shearer).
- WINKIN’ BLINKIN’ NOD, non-sanctioned inserts in TV Guide, Newsweek, Time, Variety.
collaboration with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting), Los Angeles, New York,
Washington, D.C. Boston.
- WINKIN’ BLINKIN’ NOD Bus Shelter Boards: 10 each, around Los Angeles.
- VOTE...OR ELSE, Poster Project for Rock the Vote.
- NEWTWIT, Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco,
- FISH OUT OF WATER, Poster Project: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego
- SAVE MUMIA (Refuse + Resist NY) Poster Project in collaboration with David Lester
- PETEY MOUSE (Pete Wilson), street poster, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego, 1995 San Francisco.
- SOONER OR LATER EVERYONE NEEDS THE A.C.L.U., Poster Project and Bus Shelter Board: Los Angeles.
- WELCOME TO LOS ANGELES, VOTE OR ELSE, computer generated billboard, Los
- NOTHING PERSONAL (Bob Dole) Poster Project: Los Angeles, Yorba Linda, New York,
- DIS ARM (LAPD) Poster Project: Los Angeles.
- KIDS THEN, CHILDREN NOW, Poster Project, Billboards, and Bus Shelter: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento.
- FREEDOM FROM CHOICE (Planned Parenthood) Poster Project and Billboard: 76 cities in
- GAG ME WITH A COAT HANGER (Supreme Court Chief Justice Rehnquist), Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco.
- GAG ME WITH A LONG DONG CONDOM (Clarence Thomas) Poster Project: Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., New York, San Francisco.
- TAKEN OUT AND SHOT (Daryl Gates) Poster Project: Los Angeles.
- DOUBLESPEAK (Joseph McCarthy, Roy Cohn/Oliver North, Brendan Sullivan) Billboard: Los Angeles.
- DAMAGE CONTROL (Dan Quayle) Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C.,
- ARTIFICIAL ART OFFICIAL, HOLY HOMOPHOBIA (Jesse Helms) Poster Project and
Billboard: Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco.
- WE’RE ALL ONE COLOR, Poster Project: Los Angeles, Detroit, Washington, D.C., Chicago.
- SEX, DRUGS, ROCK & ROLL (John Tower, George Bush, Lee Atwater), Poster Project:
Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, San Francisco.
- FALSE PROFIT (Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker) Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York,
Washington, DC, New Orleans, San Francisco
- CONTRA COCAINE, Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C., San
Francisco, New Orleans
- IT CAN’T HAPPEN HERE (George Bush) Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York,
Washington, D.C., New Orleans, San Francisco, Cincinnati.
- WOMEN WITH TEETH (Nancy Reagan, Margaret Thatcher, Jeane Kirkpatrick Joan Rivers)
Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco
- SPEAK (Oliver North) Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Washington, D.C.,
San Francisco, Austin, Houston.
- SOMETHING FISHY (Ed Meese) Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C., San Francisco.
- CONTRA DICTION (Ronald Reagan) Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York,
Washington, D.C., San Francisco.
- MEN WITH NO LIPS (Ronald Reagan, Donald Regan, Caspar Weinberger, James Baker III)
Poster Project: Los Angeles, New York, Washington, D.C.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS BY THE ARTIST: BOOK & CATALOGS
- NOT YOUR TYPICAL POLITICAL ANIMAL: Animal Drawings and Paintings by Guerrilla
Poster Artist Robbie Conal, Foreward and Design by Deborah Ross, Art Attack Press,
Los Angeles, CA
- ARTBURN, A “Best of” collection of the artist’s monthly column in the LA Weekly, RDV
Books, Akashic Books, NY
- FIGUREHEADS & RED HERRINGS exhibition essay, Koplin Gallery, LA
- ART ATTACK, The Midnight Politics of a Guerrilla Artist Harper Collins, NY
- UNAUTHROIZED HISTORY: Robbie Conal’s Portraits of Power, curated by Deborah Irmas, interview by Ralph Rugoff, Pasadena Art Alliance, Pasadena, CA
- LENNY SILVERBERG: Recent Paintings and Drawings Atrium Gallery, University of
Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- FRANK LOBDELL’S SUMMER MURAL 1961 College of Notre Dame Art Gallery, Belmont, CA
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS BY THE ARTIST: PERIODICALS
- Monthly Page in LA WEEKLY: “Artburn”
- Art in Exile, The Flight of European Artists from Hitler,” LA WEEKLY, April 11
- GET UP, FUCK UP, STAY UP, Confessions of a non-sanctioned public artist,”
LA WEEKLY, Jan. 10
- "Grandpa From Hell: An Interview with William S. Burroughs.” LA WEEKLY, July 19
- Hurled Chunks: The San Francisco School of Abstract Expressionism Lands on Laguna.”
L.A. Weekly, April 5
- VIET NAM 101: Decade of Protest,” LA Weekly, Feb.16
- War in the Worlds of Art: David vs. Political Goliath, Los Angeles Times, Nov. 26
- Pop Gun (on Jerry Kearns), L.A. Weekly, June 17-23
- Critics’ Picks , L.A. Weekly, Dec. 11-17th
- Not a Pretty Picture, L.A. Weekly, July 3-9
- Art: David French at New Strategies, L.A. Weekly, May 8-14
- Art: FrancescTorres, video installation at Long Beach Museum of Art, L.A. Weekly,
- Art: Heterodoxy, Group Exhibit Curated by Meg Cranston at Rosamund Felsen Gallery,
L.A.. Weekly, January 16-22
- The Next Generation: 1986 Critics’ Picks (Jim Shaw & Barbara Carrasco), L.A. Weekly,
- Rite of Assemblage , L.A. Weekly, October 31-November 6
- Art: F. Scott Hess at Ovsey Gallery, L.A. Weekly, October 17-23
- Through Chicano Eyes, L.A. Weekly, October 3-9
- Deus Ex McLuhan: Curators Walter Hopps & Howard Halle Flip to the Newest Art Channel,
L.A. Weekly, August 15-21
- Heavy Metal (interview with John Chamberlain), L.A. Weekly, August 8-14
- Tickled Haring, L.A. Weekly, June 20-26
- Art: Gronk at Saxon -Lee Gallery, L..A. Weekly, May 30-June 6
- A Reductivist Conservative, Artweek, Oakland, March 26
- An Excess of Restraint, Artweek, Oakland, December 7
- Out of Sturm and Drang, Artweek, Oakland, November 23
SELECTED ARTICLES ABOUT ARTIST AND ANTHOLOGIES INCLUDING THE ARTIST
- Artist Spotlight: Robbie Conal, June 15, 2010; WHO: Robbie Conal WHAT: "Political Animal: New Drawings and Paintings by Robbie Conal," Huffington Post,
- “The Message Is the Message,” Steven Heller, NY Times Sunday Book Review,
June 6, p. 49-50.
- “Where Cute Meets Evil: Guerrilla Poster Artist Robbie Conal Talks”, Ivan Fernandez, LA
Times Blogs, Wednesday, May, 12. http://blogs.laweekly.com/stylecouncil/street-art/robbieconal-street-artist/
Robbie Conal and Shepard Fairey: Art, Politics and Public Space
May 7, 2010
- “Patt Asks, Robbie Conal: Political Animal,” Patt Morrison, LA Times, Opinion Section,
January 16, 2010 http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-morrison16-
- “Robbie Conal: Not Your Typical Political Animal,” James Preston Allen, RANDOM
LENGTHS, March 19-April 1, p.11.
- “Gritty Guerrilla Poster Artist Robbie Conal’s New Book Features…Cute Animals?”,
Colin Berry, BOING BOING March 17,
- Enholm, Molly. “Take me out to the Ballgame.” Art Ltd. November-December.
- Rosenthal, Laurie, “Universe of Robbie Conal.” The Magazine. November.
- Booth, Dwayne, “Guerilla Pop: Robbie Conal and the art of character assassination.” LA Weekly. October 24 -30, p.41
- Lacher, Irene, “Poster boy for Mischief.” Los Angeles Times. Monday, October 13.
- Herbert, Simon. “Art Attack!: Shepard Fairey & Robbie Conal”. Art Ltd. October.
- Klein, Danny. “The Art and Political Science of Robbie Conal.” Malibu Magazine. May.
- Earle, Steve. “Artists and Artists” Bomb Magazine.
- Wan, Ren. “Political Life in Los Angeles.” We Men. Taiwan
- Penalty, Jeff and Simon Steinhardt. “Robbie Conal.” Swindle. 1st Annual “Icons” Issue.
- Kuznik, Frank. “Art Provocateur.” Prague Post.
- Ozuna, Tony. “It’s a war out there.” Umelec 3. Pg 28-31.
- GUERRILLA STREET POSTERING: CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE IN LOS ANGELES taken from
Citizen Designer by Steve Heller and Veronique Vienne
Bregman, Adam, “Fat. Ugly and Evil.” San Frnacisco Chronicle. October 5.
- Fallah, Amir H. “The Two Sides of Robbie Conal.” Beautiful/Decay. Issue D. pg 21-25.
Pistor, Rahne. “Local poster boy for resistance art Conal shows the ugly faces of politics.”
The Argonaut. July 24.
- Riquelme, Kathleen. The Studio Book, pg 100-3.
- Heller, Steve. Design Humor, pg 168-9.
- Barrs, Rick, "The Finger." New Times, Volume 6, No. 20, p 10-11. May 17-23.
- Fischer, Jack, “Satirical Posters of Politicos Come in from the Streets.” San Jose Mercury
- News. August 19. Morin, Monte, “Posters Plaster City with Rampart Protest,” Los Angeles Times Metro Section. Sunday, April 2.
- Zamora, Jim, “Portrait of the Artist as a Young Guerrilla,” San Francisco Examiner, Sunday,
- Boyarski, Bill, “Putting a Face on the Mayor’s Race,” Los Angeles Times, Metro section, p.1,
- LA Weekly, cover illustration, Mayor Richard Riordan
- Times Weekly, cover illustration, Willie Williams (LA police chief)
- Heller, Steven, “Drawn & Quartered” top 20 political caricature studies of the past 20 years, Mother Jones, Nov. Dec. 1996.
- LA Weekly, cover illustration, Patrick Buchanan, Vol. 18, March 22-28
- Philips, Chuck, "Something to Wink At," Los Angeles Times, Tuesday, January 30
- Pincus, Robert L., "Newt is New Subject for Poster Boy of Satire," The San Diego Tribune,
- Nakayama, Takeshi, “ACLU Posters County-Wide,” The Rafu Shimpo, Feb. 27
- Bischoff, Dan; Cooper, Marc, “In Search of a Winning Theme,” The Nation, (plus cover
reproduction), Feb 7 The Nation, cover reproduction of Janet Reno
- “Robbie Conal and Children Now,” Artweek, December 16
- Wilson, William, “Taking Aim at Societies Past, Present,” Los Angeles Times, October 15
- Turner, William, “Interview with Robbie Conal,” Venice Magazine, November
- “Remembering JFK,” Bazaar Magazine, November
- Philips, Chuck, “Conal’s Latest Tied to Riots’ Anniversary,” Los Angeles Times, April 30
- Snow, Shauna, “Calendar: Morning Report,” Los Angeles Times, March 17
- Lazarus, Anthony, “Guerilla Artist,” Argonaut, October
- Daluiso, Mindy, “So Many Bad Guys and So Little Time: “An Interview with Robbie Conal,“
- Picturebook, Winter, 1992-93.
- Schipper, Merle, “Catalogues, A New Roundup,” Artscene, November, 1992
- Art Attack, "The Midnight Politics of a Guerrilla Artist," written by Robbie Conal, Designed by
- Ashare, Matt, "On the Street," The Boston Phoenix, Oct. 9, pgs. 1, 6-7, 4 reproduction, color.
- Atkins, Robert, "Scene and Heard," The Village Voice, Sept. 29, Vol. XXXVI, No. 39
- Baker, Kenneth, "Taking Political Art to the Streets," The San Francisco Chronicle.
- Chollet, Laurence, "A 60's Spirit with the Politics of a Giant Chicken," The Bergen Record.”
- Heller, Steven, "Robbie Conal: Sure Shot Sniper," AIGA Journal of Graphic Design, Vol. 10,
No. 2, pp. 10-11, three b & w reproductions
- Heyler, Joanne, "Choice Images: On the Streets and in the Galleries, Reproductive
Issues Heat Up," L.A. Reader, June 26, reproduction
- Kapitanoff, Nancy, "A Group Called the Guerrilla Matrons, Aided by artist Robbie Conal, Take to the Street at Night to Spread it's Abortion Rights Message," Los Angeles Times,
June 9, reproduction
- Kirk, Deborah, "Guerrilla Artfair," Harper's Bazaar, Sept., pgs. 130, 132, five color
- Miffin, Margot, "Poster Boy," Eclat Column, Elle, Sept., p. 80
- Miffin, Margot, Book Review, "In Short Column," Entertainment Weekly, Oct. 2, p.54
- Philips, Christopher, "Robbie Conal at Jayne Baum," Art in America, January 1992
- Phillips, Chuck, "Billboards Paints Justices into Political Corner on Abortion," L. A. Times,
Calendar, Sept. 14, p. 1, reproduction.
- Roderick, Kyle, "The Offbeat Goes On: Featuring the work of two Counterculture California
Artists," Vanity Fair, Sept. issue, p. 187.
- Sullivan, Meg, "Conal's Artistic Counterattack," Daily News, Los Angeles, CA
- Brutus Magazine, Tokyo, Japan, June 1, Two reproductions Book World, The Washington Post, Sept. 6, Volume XXII, Number 36
- Philips, Chuck, "Drawing a Bead on Gates, Artist Launches Poster Blitz in Satirical attack
on Police Chief," Los Angeles Times, April 10, 1991
- Sulcas, Adele, "Trust Us: Rantings and Ravings," Mirabella, Nov. 1991
- Tresiniowski, Alexander, "Deface Value, 'People'” Time Magazine, Sept. 16
- Hampton, Howard, "Public Enemies: Ronald Reagan conquers the Martians," Artforum International, New York, NY, April.
- Herman Valli, "Indisputably Indispensable," Daily News, Feb. 20, 1991
- Meyer, Josh, "Robbie Conal - Street Art With an Edge," Los Angeles Times, July 21
- Atkins, Robert, "Scene & Heard," The Village Voice, October 15
- Bravin, Jess, "Art: An Artist Takes to the Streets With His Works," The Philadelphia Inquirer, "View," Sunday Sept. 8
- Bravin, Jess, "The Clown Prince of Portraits," The Washington Post, "Show", October 27
- Bravin, Jess, "Drawing Blood," The Chicago Tribune, "Tempo," Wed. Oct. 16
- Donohue, Marlena, "A Roadside Urban Morality Play," The Christian Science Monitor, March4
- Dubin, Zan, "Anti-Christo' of Art Wins Followers in O.C.," Los Angeles Times, Orange County,
- Estrada, Peggy Rowe, "Conal's Gates Poster Pours Gas on Political Fire," The Los Angeles
Times, April 15
- Allman, Kevin, "A Benefit Bash for 'Guerrilla Artist'," Los Angeles Times, November 12
- Curtis, Cathy, "Conal Brings Politics, Wit to Armory," Los Angeles Times, Sept. 11
- Dery, Mark, "The Merry Pranksters and the Hoax," New York Times, Dec. 23
- Foote, Jennifer, "An Artist Hits the Streets," Newsweek, New York, Aug. 9
- Goldstein, Patrick, "Guerilla Artist Robbie Conal Strikes Again," Los Angeles Times, Aug. 9
- Hoder, Randye, Hoder, Randye, "On the Wall: The Art of the Guerrilla Poster," Wall Street Journal, Nov.
- Irmas, Deborah, "Robbie Conal's Portraits of Power," Pasadena Art Alliance, The Armory
Center for the Arts, Sept. 8 - Nov.9
- Marsa, Linda, "Still Angry After All These Years," Buzz, Los Angeles, Oct/ Nov.
- Philips, Chuck, "Anti- Censorship Art Goes Back Up After Flap," Los Angeles Times,
- Philips, Chuck, "Anti- Censorship Billboard Makes It's Point - Too Well," Los Angeles Times,
- Pollini, John, "The Meaning of Portraiture and It's Development in the Late Republic and Early Precipate," Catalogue essay in Roman Portraiture: Images of Character and Virtue,
Los Angeles: University of Southern California, Fisher Art Gallery, March 28- April 20
- Reinhold, Robert, "Billboard Deriding Helms Removed," The New York Times, Aug. 17
- Rugoff, Ralph, "So Many Bad Guys, So Little Time, Interview with Robbie Conal," Pasadena Art Alliance, The Armory Center for the Arts, Sept. 8- Nov. 9
- Stukin, Stacie, "Earth, Wit, and Fire," Village View, Los Angeles, April 13- 19
- "Anti- Helms Billboard: Up, Down and Up," The New York Times, Aug. 18
- "SIGNS: Will Jesse Cause a Gaper Jam?," Newsweek Magazine, Aug.
- Bleifus, Joel, "Cultural Crusade-New World Coming," In These Times, Chicago, Aug. 2- 29
- Chua-Eaan, Howard, "Gangbuster," Time Magazine, New York, Feb. 20
- Diamond, Jamie, "Cultural Kamikaze," Vogue, New York, March issue
Foote, Jennifer, "An Artist Hits the Streets," Newsweek, New York, Vol. 179, issue 350,
Greenstein, Jane, "Art and Politics Mix for Artist," Los Angeles Times, Jan. 23
- Irmas Deborah, "Circumventing the Art World, or How to Have a Successful Career as an
Artist Without Really Lying, Art Sphere," Quarterly Newsletter of the California International
Arts Foundation, Los Angeles, Fall Issue
- Leger, Jill “Sex, Drugs and Political Art," Daily Bruin, University Of California, Los Angeles,
- Miller, Daryl H. , "Conal Posters Ask for End to Gang War," Los Angeles Daily News,
- Nagel, Juan Carlos, "Robbie Conal, Una Artista que Desea Monstrir su Trabajo La Calles
de Los Angeles," La Opinion, Los Angeles, Aug. 6
- Rotella, Sebastion, "Guerilla Artist Joins Call For Gang Peace," Los Angeles Times, Jan. 23
- Slansky, Paul, “The Clothes Have No Emperor," New York, Simon & Schuster
- Birnbaum, Jane, "City's Anti- Poster Law may be a Warning Sign," Los Angeles Herald
Examiner, Oct. 22
- Culiana, Helen, "Galleria Exhibit Stirs Thought," Cleveland Plain Dealer, April 21
- Curtis, Cathy, "The Passionate Statements of Social Activism," Los Angeles Times, Oct. 14
- Greene, Roger, "On the Wall Artistic Message," New Orleans Times Picayune, Oct. 28
- Harvey, Steve, "Only in L.A," Los Angeles Times, Dec. 7
- Kessler, Brad, "Art With Teeth," Interview, New York, Vol. 18, Sept. Issue
- Lazzari, Margaret, "Visual Political Statements," Artweek, Oakland, Vol. 19, Oct. 8.
- Mac Adams, "Lewis, Approaching the Bench," L.A. Weekly, May 20- 26.
- McGuire, Patti, "It Happened Here," Santa Monica News, Aug. 26.
- Miller, Daryl H., "Artist Mouths Off Through His Posters," Los Angeles Daily News, Oct. 23.
- Miller, Daryl H., "Poster Artist Robbie Conal Not Ready To Honor City Ban," Los Angeles Daily News, Oct. 23
- Richard, Debbie, "He Puts up the Posters that Pester Politicians," L.A. Reader, Oct. 28
- Swindle, Michael, "In the Heat of the Night," Village Voice, New York, Aug. 23
- Von Blum, Paul, "The Public Art of Robbie Conal," Z Magazine, Boston, Vol. 1, Nov.
- Wilkinson, Tracy, "Unveilings," Los Angeles Times, May 12.
- Wilkinson, Tracy, “Guerrilla Art - His Message Goes up Against the Wall," Los Angeles Times, June 6.
- Atkinson, Nicole, "Guerrilla Artist Robbie Conal Strikes Again", Los Angeles Times, July 20.
- Bob, Paul, “About Face," Stroll, New York, Vol. 4/5, September/ October.
- Cohen, Jan, "Art Attack," City Paper, Washington DC, May 22.
- Cooper, Susanna, "Controversial Conal Poster Art Hits the Streets of La Jolla," La Jolla Light, Aug. 20
- DiLauto, Stephen, "Adversarial Portraiture," Downtown, Los Angeles, Nov. 18
- Dobay, Louis, "Art Attack," Houston Public News, July 15
- Greenstein, Jane, “Art and Politics Mix for Artist,” The Los Angeles Times, June 27.
Hess, Elizabeth, "Guerrilla Posters by Robbie Conal - Now Appearing on a Street
- Corner Near You," Village Voice, New York, November 3.
- Johnson, Patricia, "Lips Are on the Loose," Houston Chronicle, July 21.
- Linthicum, Leslie, "City Tells Firm to Remove Controversial Posters," Houston Post,
- McCombie, Mel, "Crowded Showrooms Yield Some Outstanding Works," Austin American Statesman, July 9.
- Peeps, Claire, "Robbie Conal: Taking Back the Streets," High Performance,
Los Angeles, Vol. 38, July/ Aug.
- Sheff, Victoria, "Poster Artist Robbie Conal Paints Satiric Dislikeness of the Great,
the Wrinkled, and the Powerful," People Magazine, New York, Nov. 23.
- Tarallo, Mark, "Conal Displays Biting Satire," The Daily Texan, Austin, July 15.
- Turner, Nancy Kay, "Facing Up to Power," Artweek, Oakland, May 16.
- Vargo, Joe, "Lipless Leaders," Austin American Statesman, July 10.
- Zimmer, William, "Up Against the Wall," City Paper, New York City, Vol. 5, Sept.14.
- Anderson, Michael, "Robbie Conal: Men with No Lips," L.A. Weekly, November 7-13.
- Title, Stacy, Facing the Nation, Mother Jones, San Francisco, Vol. 14, Feb/Mar.
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Adjunct Lecturer, Painting and Drawing
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Guest Lecturer, Painting and Drawing,
Public Art Ideas.
- University of California, Los Angeles, Guest Lecturer, Printmaking.
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Guest Lecturer, Public Art Ideas, Painting
- Otis Parsons School of Art & Design, Los Angeles, Lecturer, Graphic Design,
- Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA, Assistant Professor, Painting and Drawing.
- University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, Assistant Professor, Painting and Drawing.
- University of Georgia, Athens, Rockefeller Grant Artist in Residence.
- College of Notre Dame, Belmont, CA Assistant Professor, Painting and Drawing,
Art Gallery Director.
(back to artist)